[T3] Faulty Fuel Pump

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 15:24:06 PST 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Mesa, AZ

> From: rdavid at rochester.rr.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 09:42:08 -0500
> Subject: Re: [T3] Faulty Fuel Pump
>
> Hello Adriel. People are asking questions because they are trying to help
> you solve your issue.

Yep, came up with that day after I sent it. I mis-perceived what the intention was, feeling like I was not knowledgeable. I just need to be more positive. ;)

> You KNOW Jim would have checked the pump before he sent it back to you, so
> the pump is now good to go and your issue is within your car somewhere. YOU
> know a lot about these cars, and YOU know what the most common reasons are
> for a pump to not run, but your problem is more than that. You probably have
> a hidden broken wire somewhere or a bad connection somewhere - and they can
> be a real pain to find.. and if all you have available right now is just
> common hand tools, then finding an electrical issue is going to be much
> harder. You need an electrical reading tool (VOM or continuity tester) to
> see where 12V exists and where it doesn't. If I were in your shoes, I would
> go get a really cheap "screwdriver style" continuity tester from Harbor
> Freight. It would go a very long way for diagnosing your issue.

It just doesn't make since a wire going bad just sitting in the drive. I wonder, we do have rodents, whether one got into the front frame?

I have two volt meters, but only know of where one is, and that is in Arizona... When I moved, I took a lot of the Squareback stuff with me. Because of this, I am tempted just to wait until Spring Break and bring out the tools and wire. I might loose the place in Arizona I found out the other day, so hate to move it out there and then move it again.

> And yes, you are correct - these cars require more maintenance than today's
> cars. Just the fact that our VW's use ignition points, need regular fuel
> filter changes and spark plug cleanings separates us from today's cars. And
> then there are electrical issues that will show up on ANY 40 year old car.
> These are things we all work with and quite frankly enjoy the tinkering.
> Nobody wants to be stranded on the side of the road, so we do whatever we
> can maintenance wise to prevent this...but it's no guarantee that any of us
> will never break down. Gremlins like yours show up on these old
> cars...that's just the way it is. Frustrating - YES......but remember there
> will always be a reason for the problem; just gotta find it! J

The Squareback used to be trouble free: just get in and have fun. I find doing basic maintenance therapeutic. Then the wires started going and the engine over heated (engine sag), and went all down hill from there. My 1985 Mercedes I just got is about as modern as I will go, as had nothing but issues with the Mercury Milan. The sway bar link would wear out in a 1,000 miles if not sooner and start banging. Because of the specialty tools I couldn't fix it. Owning a Border Collie and Golden Retriever really meant I needed something bigger, so saw no point in dropping several thousand a year into something that didn't fit my life.

What does "J" mean?

Thank you so much!
Adriel