[T3] Faulty Fuel Pump

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 30 09:53:19 PST 2012

On 29 Dec 2012 at 16:44, Adriel Rowley wrote:

> What frustrates me is there is no need for all this questioning,

The questions are necessary because you didn't tell us any of the
answers in your post. You can't expect us to read your mind. You have
to keep in mind that you are there, but we are not.

> What I don't understand is why I have a pump that doesn't run despite
> paying $89 for a rebuild. I would have gone and gotten a Ranger pump,
> but Adney rebuilt it without confirming. Takes two, so not blaming
> anyone. ;/

Every pump I rebuild, including yours, gets powered up to make sure
it runs after I rebuild it. Yours has been stored a long time since
the rebuild, so it's possible that it frooze up in storage. This
might be due to water still in the motor portion, which I can't be
sure of getting out without the more expensive full rebuild, which
would have cost $50 more.

I don't think either of us thought about this at the time, and I was
under the impression that you were going to install the pump right
away and any water remaining in the gas tank or pump would have
burned off quickly, assuming most of it had been drained out of the
tank.

Keep in mind, however, that we don't yet know that the motor is
frozen. It's still possible that you're not getting sufficient power
to it.

If it IS frozen, I can probably free it up for no charge other than
the return shipping. Or, if necessary, I can do the rest of the
complete rebuild for only the extra $50.

You could also try tapping the motor housing lightly a few times
before you try to start it.

> P.S. Guess I am also spoiled having a car that one only has to do
> regular maintenance and not fiddle with it every time it moves. Very
> few with F.I. are daily drivers.

I would have to agree that this is not the right car for you. Few
people have this much trouble with their FI Type 3s, once they start
to get guidance from this email list. It's likely that any car of
similar age would give you similar problems. That's one of the big
advantages of any new car.

Any of my FI Type 3s could be started at any time, easily, even in
10F weather. The only problem I have is that the batteries run down
if I don't drive them often enough. My '73 is sitting in the driveway
right now, with more than a foot of snow covering it. I'm pretty sure
that if I dug the snow away from the driver's door, I could get in it
right now and start it right up. It last ran about 2 weeks ago.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org