[T3] Faulty Fuel Pump

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 29 16:44:16 PST 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Tempe, AZ

> From: Bobsnotch at aol.com
> Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 19:18:33 -0500
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Faulty Fuel Pump
>
> In a message dated 12/29/2012 5:47:33 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
> adriel_rowley at hotmail.com writes:
>
> I am so mad right now! Adney sent me a rebuilt pump (which I am sure he
> tested), just installed it, and it doesn&apost work! Applied 12 volts and
> nothing. I have the two clicks, dash lights are on, and fully charged battery.
> The dome light even started working and really spins over like I never
> heard it do. So should be good to go. If I don&apost get the Squareback
> running by 3:00P.S.T. going to cost me an extra $100 I really don&apost have,
> thus part of the reason I am upset (also sick of how unreliable these autos
> are). Any ideas?
>
> How long ago did you install it? Did you keep it stored full of fuel? Or
> was the fuel tank left dry? Can you use a couple of jumper wires to run the
> pump? Or jump the relay? Just asking, as I know these questions will come up
> eventually.

Fifteen minutes before I sent the letter. It was sealed in the box with plugs over the ports. The last time I left it, water in the tank seized the brand new rebuild.

What frustrates me is there is no need for all this questioning, as had nothing but trouble with the Squareback and had to learn how to diagnose and fix these issues. Russ drilled into me to check for two clicks (actually thee) and power to all the right places. What I don't understand is why I have a pump that doesn't run despite paying $89 for a rebuild. I would have gone and gotten a Ranger pump, but Adney rebuilt it without confirming. Takes two, so not blaming anyone. ;/

Thank you,
Adriel

P.S. Guess I am also spoiled having a car that one only has to do regular maintenance and not fiddle with it every time it moves. Very few with F.I. are daily drivers.