[T3] Interior Heat with aftermarket exhaust system

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sun Dec 30 09:56:59 PST 2012

On 29 Dec 2012 at 19:27, Brion Sabbatino wrote:

> I came up with a work around to restoring interior heat as VW intended it to perform. This is using an after market exhaust. It takes about three hours to complete the project. I do intend to install a stock exhaust system once the car has been painted. In the meantime, I wanted proper heat. It gets cold in the desert.
>
> I hope this helps someone.
>
> http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6424959#6424959
>
> Feel free to add any additional comments or information I might have missed.

What you've done is a very good job of making due with what you've
got. It won't get as much heat as it would with the rear exchangers,
but it will do everything else. And, like you said, it's completely
reversible.

The only down side is the one others have already pointed out: the
fragile alum flex tubing. You'll have to keep an eye on those. It
might be a good idea to put some spares and tools in the frunk in
case you lose one far from home.

Otherwise, nice job.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org