[T3] Modern cars!

Joe Plowick III gtixpress at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 20:43:13 PST 2012

Modern cars aren't that bad.  I've had my 2002 GTI 337 since new, and I've
been the only one to troubleshoot and make repairs to it.  I've done timing
belts, alternator replacement, hose replacements, and numerous other
maintenance items.  The only times it has left my sight to have work done
is for wheel alignments and tire mountings (typically by a VW dealer).
 Plus I've also added performance items to it as well.  Honestly I used to
fiddle with my Squareback more than my modified GTI.  I also have a VAG-COM
(now VCDS) to troubleshoot any computer codes, and that thing has more than
paid for itself.  I'm a little surprise that an alternator for you costs
$500.  Mine was less than $200 and that was for a higher output model (120A
vs 90A stock).  If you can work on an old car, then a new one isn't much
different.  They just require a different though process sometimes.  :)

Joe P.
'69 VW Squareback
'02 VW GTI 337