[T3] Wiring Harness Needed (was RE: Faulty Fuel Pump)

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 31 16:15:53 PST 2012

-------------------------

1971 Sunroof Squareback with F.I.- Located in Coastal San Diego County
Student, A.S.U. Mesa, AZ

> > P.S. Guess I am also spoiled having a car that one only has to do
> > regular maintenance and not fiddle with it every time it moves. Very
> > few with F.I. are daily drivers.
>
> I would have to agree that this is not the right car for you. Few
> people have this much trouble with their FI Type 3s, once they start
> to get guidance from this email list. It's likely that any car of
> similar age would give you similar problems. That's one of the big
> advantages of any new car.

This was the auto for me. It still can be, just needs a replacement wiring harness and eventually replacement sheet metal. Does anyone have a wiring harness for sale, preferably from a late 1970 model year or early 1971 model year? Mike?

Part of the issues I have could be attributed to A.S.D.. I just don't have the fine motor skill/don't know my strength (ex. stripped head stud) and over focused (ex. got to make it home despite the boot not staying on). I also don't have the best social and communication skills...

> Any of my FI Type 3s could be started at any time, easily, even in
> 10F weather. The only problem I have is that the batteries run down
> if I don't drive them often enough. My '73 is sitting in the driveway
> right now, with more than a foot of snow covering it. I'm pretty sure
> that if I dug the snow away from the driver's door, I could get in it
> right now and start it right up. It last ran about 2 weeks ago.

When Russ came out last he remarked how well tuned the Squareback was. It just pops right off, and still do it if there was fuel. So I know how reliable they can be if all is well. Just so many are not. You are a lucky one that yours are so reliable. I just bet you if I put in a good pump, it do the same. It be even better if I went though the wiring, and replaced what was needed. At this point, forgot what all was wrong, but Jack said it was the wiring and she should be scrapped.

I would consider selling the Squareback if I could get at least $4,000, but I have got no offers. I put in a lot more than that, most of which is spares and rebuilt transmission and engine. I would clean EVERYTHING out and figure I could always get back in when I am old and grey... l.o.l.

I have a fantastic charger that has three settings, including a maintenance function. The latter is a trickle charge until it reaches the proper voltage, then the lights change and the power is take down/off. Very quit and a compact unit. It was really inexpensive too! If you want I can see about getting its information. I keep it under the Squareback with an extension cord to it.

> Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 14:14:55 -0800
> From: fisherfarms at gmail.com
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Subject: Re: [T3] Faulty Fuel Pump
>
> As a 'starving student' you can't afford the parts & professional labor to
> work on/own it now. Chirco in AZ could probably get it running for $500,
> but you don't have a job! No garage is a killer too! Better save your
> money for your daily driver, which is a Mercedes now? I would sell the VW
> cheap and buy a better one, when you can afford it. You can store it in my
> field in Harrisburg until you have a job/garage if you really want to keep
> it? ;-)

I was doing fine this last summer until I was diagnosed with Crohn's and had a bunch of bills. Also, had to get a temporary wagon (1992 Volvo 245) and it needs all the springs replaced and the power steering replaced (bought it too quickly because of being in a tight spot). Once I sell it, I can hopefully be debt free.

Been looking for work, filled out applications, and did have a job opertunity, but fell though. Now I might loose my University stipend and the house, but I don't care. The Almighty is in charge and everything in His time. I do have a wagen and family. ;)

The house I am at now belongs to my Grandmother. It is bigger than Oma's, a palace at 1,250 square feet, three bedrooms and two FULL baths! It has one car garage, one car port, and a HUGE backyeard with R.V. access. I own three cars now, the Squareback which was going to go into the yard, a 1992 Volvo 245 which was also going to go in the yard until it is sold, and a 1985 Mercedes 300TD-T which was going to go in the garage unless I was working on one of the autos. I was going to get a room mate, but...

Mike, thank you for the offer! I will keep that in mind while things are sorted in the next few months.

Thank you so much!
Adriel