[T3] Intermittently running on two cylinders

Jacob Adam Schroeder jacob.schroeder at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 11:46:31 PST 2012

My car has developed an issue lately where occasionally it will feel like
it is running on two cylinders.  When it does this, I can pull the wires
from the fuel injectors on cylinders 2 and 4 and notice no difference in
the sound of the engine.  If I pull 1 or 3, I hear the RPM decrease and it
sounds like it is running on only 1 (if that is even possible).  It is a
1972 Squareback with stock FI (except for Pertronix electronic ignition --
which I plan to return to the stock set up soon).

It does not do this all the time.  In fact, two weeks ago, the car ran well
enough (firing on all 4) that I took it the 22 miles each way to/from work
(some of which was highway driving) while my 2012 Golf was in the shop
(don't get me started on that).  I thought the problem must have "worked
itself out" after that, only to find the problem again this morning.

I'm looking for ideas as to where to start troubleshoot this or if anybody
else has experience a similar issue.  Thanks in advance,

Jacob