[T3] Tired Searching for Tires

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Sun Feb 5 07:25:04 PST 2012

That sounds as if the tyre companies have got at the law-makers.  In the UK
it's the condition of the tyre that counts.  1.6mm minimum tread depth,
across 3/4 tread width and all the way round, no serious cracking or cuts in
the walls, no cords visible, correctly inflated and restrictions on mixing
radial and bias-ply (rare these days anyway).

I can't see that it's in the interests of anybody apart from the
manufactureres to require that serviceable tyres are scrapped.  I can see
that fitters could be legally liable if unsuitable tyres are fitted (which
includes tyres not suited to the rim size).

My life to me is worth more than a set of tyres, so if there's something
doubtful about them, I'll change them rather than take a risk.  The way some
people drive makes me wonder if they would worry much about their tyres,
though!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club