[T3] Tire Date Code

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Sun Feb 5 15:34:17 PST 2012

The Tires on my Tbird date back to 1964, they were made with REAL rubber and
look good as new inside and out, I wouldn't want to cruise on a hot highway
with them though....

I wonder if the treadwear ratings will start to drop, they are pretty high
these days but no sense in having tires last 80Kmi if they will never see
that.

Keith

> Since 1/1/2000 tires have a 4 digit code.  Ala 4600.  That tire was
> produced in the 46th week of 2000.  A newer tire that has a code 0112 was
> manufactured in week 1 of 2012.  This system is meant to identify tire age
> for 100 years.

Okay, that's what I was afraid of. I don't think any of my Type 3s
have tires with 4 digit date codes....

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org