[T3] Perplexing hesitation/stumble/stall

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Mon Feb 6 13:14:03 PST 2012

In a message dated 2/6/2012 1:41:11 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
naroush at sbcglobal.net writes:

My '68  Sqbk with stock FI and MT is driving me crazy with an intermittent
hesitation/stall.  It will start and idle OK.   Halfway into my  20 min
commute it often feels like it is missing on 1 or 2  cylinders. Sometimes it
bucks like engine quit then starts again  immediately and sometimes  it stops
altogether.   After it  stops I check all the connections on engine and have
gotten it running every  time.  Sometimes I pressed the accelerator peddle
all the way to the  floor to get it going.  It doesn't seem to be bad gas or
water in  gas as it runs well most of the time.  It seems to be heat
related.  I had it running last night and wiggled all connections in  engine bay
I could see but no hesitation, no stall.  This morning it was  stumbling
again.   Any ideas?

Check the battery voltage when it's acting up, and see what you get for a
reading. I only say that, because I was having an issue like this, and Jim
suggested hooking up a voltmeter and take it for a drive. I found my problem
 half way thru my 10 mile loop. My starting voltage reading was 14.2, and
it  dropped off to below 13.5, and continued to drop the longer it  ran,
which meant the VR was going bad. Replaced it with a new one, and all  is good.
: )

64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120