[T3] Speedometer/Odometer ratio?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 9 11:11:53 PST 2012

On 9 Feb 2012 at 11:03, Brian Fye wrote:

> i would expect that to mean their version of a 'final drive' ratio.  Could
> very much be that for every revolution of the wheel, you get .80 or .82
> turns of the final gear in the speedo.

That won't be it, because the speedo part is direct drive, no
reduction. I don't know what the odometer reduction is, but it's
huge.

This is the case in all VDO speedometers. The speedo is calibrated by
adjusting the strength of a magnet, and the odometer is calibrated by
picking the right reduction gear ratio.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org