[T3] 2012 Invasion (Parts to carry?)

Brian Fye bfye at canyonville.net
Mon Feb 13 11:05:39 PST 2012

I have had to use my AAA card 3 times with a VW and all were for
catastrophic failures, everything else could be fixed with time on the side
of the road or in a parking lot.  The AAA will keep you from working in the
dark on the side of a 2 lane road with semi-trucks rumbling past you (the
best reason for using it).

I keep a fully equipped box of hand tools, spare gaskets, some electrical
wiring (crimp on connectors), duct and electrical tape, spare points, fuel
line, clamps and such.  Also a spare that is known to be good!

If you are fortunate enough to travel with someone else, you can split
carrying bitter items.  Toby always has a small shop style jack with him
and I bring at least one jack stand.

Few folks will have the issues I incured on the trip for the last invasion,
and if I can make it, you can too!

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:57 AM, David Yaghoubian <goob at roadrunner.com>wrote:

> On Feb 13, 2012, at 10:15 PM, Brian Fye <bfye at canyonville.net> wrote:
>
> > Your #1 VW parts item is.... (insert drum roll here)  AAA card!
>
> <rimshot>
>
> That is sage advise.
>
> Still, IMHO there are some replacement parts that are just too inexpensive
> and light not to take along... especially in view of the pain in the arse
> you will potentially avoid, insofar as an AAA tow never guarantees that the
> place you get dumped will have anything close to the part/s you need (been
> there in VW and RV).
>
> Thus:
>
> Generator brushes
> vw fuses
> points (especially if you run electronic ignition... if it goes out u r
> hosed)
> cap/rotor
> Several feet of fuel line (engine cpt) even if yours is brand new
>
> Best of luck at the Peaceful 2012 VW Type 3 Gathering of Friends. ;)
>
> Dave

Brian Fye
Canyonville Christian Academy
541 839 4401 ext. 110