[T3] Dwell Meter Stalls Engine

Tony Rongey trongey at sbcglobal.net
Thu Feb 23 17:21:41 PST 2012

Well, since I'm red-green colorblind I assumed one clip was red.  I knew the
other one was black.

I did figure out something about the timing light.  I've always used the +coil
for the 12v supply since it's the only convenient source.  This time I peeled
back the boot on the alternator (yes, alternator) output.  Running that way it
didn't slow the engine so I guess the light was drawing too much from the coil.
Actually the RPM drop was handy: it's a lot easier to get an out-of-tune engine
to run steady at 1100 than at 900.  When I fired up the light it would drop to
900 so ti worked out great.  Oh well, I can work around that.

Anyway, I finally got the dwell to 46 and the timing is right.  Now that the
ignition is straightened out I can sort out whatever else is out of whack.

Tony
'70 Fastback AT/FI