[T3] specs for automatic trans oil

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 28 07:41:37 PST 2012

On 28 Feb 2012 at 8:29, Ken Main Mail wrote:

> How many quarts or pints of ATF Dextron II goes to completely fill  the auto
> tranny and bell housing (torque converter)?  Thanks

The Bentley says 6.4 pints, but that may not include filling the
torque converter. I think if you buy 4 quarts you'll be fine. The
current ATF is now called Mercon.

While you're in there, replace the O-ring under the governor cover.
That's the round cover held in place with a spring bail, high on the
left side.

BTW, the final drive (differential) is separate. Change that, too. It
uses GL-5 gear oil, NOT ATF. I think 2 quarts should do it.
Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org