[T3] Aux. Air Reg. Rebuilds

Jeremy Menzies skellzangelz at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 2 21:18:40 PST 2012

I had been having some issues with my AAR a few months ago, a constant loping idle no matter what temp and/or high idle even after bottoming the idle screw out just for testers.  I took it out and apart once and cleaned everything well but it wasn't until I took it all apart again and used some 600 grit sandpaper to polish the piston and bore that I was able to get smooth movement throughout the rotational range.  Now it works much better but it might be a little too open when cold because I get a loping idle for a few blocks until the car warms up some.

Before I found out to check it out (and before Jim suggested I make sure the piston moved perfectly freely) I was going by the Bentley's advice on the AAR.  It only suggests that the hose can be disconnected and cause loping idle, not that the valve itself can be frozen open or maladjusted, etc.  I could see that leading some less investigative people away from the AAR...

My $.02,
Jeremy