[T3] Leaking fuel pump

matthew n stanfield vw70t3 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 29 15:13:52 PST 2012

On 2012.01.19, at 0226pm, Jim Adney wrote:

> If you want another O-ring, email me directly and measure the OD of
> the groove. Tell me whether the 2 grooves (in the pump head and in
> the motor body) are the same diameter. Another O-ring would be cheap.
>
> Note, however, that there's more to assembling the pump than just
> bolting the pump head back on. If you continue to have trouble,
> consider sending it back to me to reassemble. If that's all it needs,
> it would be cheap, too, but you'd still have to pay shipping 2 ways.
> If that didn't fix it, at least it would be here, where I could fix
> it.
>
> If you want, i could also "finish" the complete rebuild on your
> original pump for just the difference in price, $50, plus shipping.

I am currently weighing my options as i cannot source the proper o-rings locally.

Obviously the cheaper route to go initially would to be to just get the o-rings and only send the pump in if it the new o-rings do not fix it. However, i am left to wonder if it would not be prudent to just go ahead and send the pump to 'finish' the rebuild. That would certainly avoid a bit of work of putting the pump back on the car and having to take it off again if it still leaks. Additionally it has been sitting off the car for some time now, so most of the fuel smell has dissipated.

That being said, i am not one to throw money at a problem that is not there. So i would lean towards just getting the o-rings unless the rebuild is something that will likely need to be done anyways.

Any thoughts / advice on the matter is welcome.

matthew Stanfield
1970 VWfastBack
mansfield, OHio