[T3] Tired Searching for Tires

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 15:41:53 PST 2012

I don't know what you mean by 'number four'.

Figure 3.5 in Bentley describes the steering lock clip.  What I've found is
that on full lock and over uneven ground, the steering knuckle graunches up
and down on the torsion arm, wearing an indentation in the torsion arm
mainly.  That allows the wheel to move through a greater arc and can cause
rubbing of the tyre on the wheel well.
The clip just puts back a bit of metal to restore the limit on the steering
lock.  I made a clip using a piece of card to work out what shape it needed
to be.

On my father's '58 Beetle, the absence of steering stops allowed the
suspension to wear the inside of the front tyre so much that it ripped it
open after a time.  Luckily I was driving slowly at the time!  I don't think
it would happen on a Type 3.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club