[T3] Tires

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 7 17:31:22 PST 2012

*Jim wrote:*
*
Tires may sit in warehouses for
months, but never years. They're made continuously, as required to
satisfy retail and warehouse demand, and I suspect the warehouses
rotate their stock so that their oldest tires go out first. When I've
bought new tires, they are generally about a year old. I've never
seen a new one that was anywhere close to 2 years old.

I agree on car and light truck tires about being manufactured, shipped,
sold and installed continuously.

But the "trick" is always between what Sales Dept. SAYING how many of each
size they need, and Manufacturing which SAYS they can't produce that many
and even if they could, FINANCE argues that they haven't got enough money
to pay for the raw materials.

Rotating their stock?  Maybe. Often, NOT!   My experience buying RV tires
(235/80 R22.5, 255/80 R22.5, 275/80 R22.5, etc.) when you order 6 tires,
you would think they all would have the same date code.  Not true.  Even
though I told the dealer I wanted "fresh" tires, one small dealer  in any
city, has very little influence with a big company.

And the guy at the warehouse, that drives the forklift, just picks 6 tires.
 The oldest almost never go out first.  So rotating their stock, is a myth.
  Even for a big, multi-national, respected company like Michelin.

And our "lil ol' VW tires" which are not in high demand, may have been
sitting in various warehouses, for a l-o-n-g time.   *
*

--
Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)