[T3] Intermittent hesitation/stall.?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Feb 7 22:34:14 PST 2012

On 8 Feb 2012 at 0:44, Dave Hall wrote:

> That's why I top post.  It saves trying to find the bookmark each time!

The bookmark analogy cuts both ways. With a bookmark, it's easy to
back up a bit to catch the drift of the test as I left it, and then
continue on, into fresh territory, with a clear understanding of the
message.

I understand that top posting seems fine to the person writing it,
but, as a reader, I often have a hard time understanding exactly what
the post is responding to. This becomes particularly difficult when
several people are responding at the same time, to the same subject,
and there are several different topics under contention.

I completely agree that having to scroll down thru dozens of lines of
quoted material to get to the meat of the post makes no sense, but
that's what the delete key is for.

Thus, to me at least, bottom posting with careful deletions improves
clarity and makes it easier on the reader. And Dave, as a former
teacher, will certainly appreciate that saying what you mean is only
half the battle: You want to make sure the listener understands you
correctly.

I have to admit that I'm occasionally stumped by a short top post,
because I'm not sure what it's in response to, and scrolling down
doesn't help, because I'm still left to guess at exactly what the
comment is referring to.

OTOH, in business emails, where an exchange of emails may involve
some degree of negotiation, it may be important to preserve a
complete transcript of each message, and putting them in reverse
chronological order makes getting to the fresh data easiest. In this
case, top posting carries the advantage.

Top posting vs. bottom posting comes up here every few years, and I'm
always amazed at how contentious it is. I know we'll never agree on
it, so the best I can hope for is to encourage clarity from everyone.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org