[T3] Tow Bar

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Thu Feb 9 10:02:31 PST 2012

On 9 Feb 2012 at 10:28, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> BTW.  I have a high-quality Blue Ox, aluminum, Aladdin Tow Bar
> http://www.blue-ox-towbars.com/tow-bars/motorhome-mounted/aladdin-tow-bar
> We've been using the B.O. for 11 years, to tow our 3,050 lb., 2000 Honda
> Accord, EX V-6.  If I could figure out the correct, Type 3 Axle Beam
> "attachment" configuration, I would simply have the tow bar "ears" welded
> to the front of the VW tow bar, and use our existing Blue OX to complete
> the connection, between Car Tow Bar & the 5,000#, 2" Receiver on the motor
> home.

I looked at the Blue Ox installation instruction pdf, and Figure 5
shows a  "Baseplate" which appears to be specific to the towed car.
It's not called out in their parts list, but it must be something
that's bought separately. They won't have one for Type 3s, but
perhaps one for another car could be adapted. The biggest problem
that I see is that they insist that the tow eyes on the towed vehicle
be no lower than 4" below the receiver on the towing vehicle. That
probably means that the Blue Ox can't reach the front axle beam on
your square.

Bob could probably make you an adaptor but it would be an
"interesting" project. It might be possible to replace the round
tubular front bumper reinforcement with something stronger that
actually attached to the beam.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org