[T3] weird idle dips

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Feb 24 16:54:39 PST 2012

In 20 years of ownership of my Variant, I've changed the cap once, the leads
once, the rotor arm once and the plugs and points maybe 3 or 4 times.  I've
not changed the condensor or coil, which is still the Bosch black one, but
I've only done 55,000 miles (PO did about 40,000).   There's a 3,000 mile
service interval recommended for cleaning plugs, flatting points contacts,
setting dwell and timing which keeps things in good order, but I wouldn't
expect new plugs and points to be needed more often than every 12K miles.

What coil are you running?  If it's a 'performance' coil, that might explain
excess erosion/deposition on the points (or is that scoring on the cam or
fibre heel?).

A spot of grease is all it needs - I use petroleum jelly, as that's what the
Beetle service information said to use in the '60s, but I don't think it
matters much.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club