[T3] Mirrors for '69 Squareback

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jan 4 11:52:06 PST 2012

On 4 Jan 2012 at 8:47, Brent Bottolfson wrote:

> On 1/3/12 4:32 PM, Gary Forsmo wrote:

> > And when the "originals" went BAD, (probably in the late '70's, sometime)
> > the replacements were totally different.  You saw my replacements with the
> > 1/4", solid, round, rod arms.  They are nothing like the
> > nut/arm/adjustments of the originals.
>
> I'll just throw this out there, but Flat-4 makes good quality early
> style repops for Type 3's.  The right one won't have the larger elbow
> for Squares that makes the mirror stick out more though.  If you had
> that piece it could be fitted to one of their RHS mirrors.

The Type 3 mirrors I see on the flat 4 web page are an earlier style,
up to '67, maybe.

I'm afraid that on this generation, that longer piece is not
removable from the mirror. It's swaged over, under the glass, so you
can't even get to it without breaking the glass. And that is exactly
where they almost always break.   ;-p

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org