[T3] Mirrors for '69 Squareback

Brent Bottolfson brent at bottolfson.net
Wed Jan 4 12:24:38 PST 2012

On 1/4/12 11:52 AM, Jim Adney wrote:
> On 4 Jan 2012 at 8:47, Brent Bottolfson wrote:
>
>> On 1/3/12 4:32 PM, Gary Forsmo wrote:
>>> And when the "originals" went BAD, (probably in the late '70's, sometime)
>>> the replacements were totally different.  You saw my replacements with the
>>> 1/4", solid, round, rod arms.  They are nothing like the
>>> nut/arm/adjustments of the originals.
>> I'll just throw this out there, but Flat-4 makes good quality early
>> style repops for Type 3's.  The right one won't have the larger elbow
>> for Squares that makes the mirror stick out more though.  If you had
>> that piece it could be fitted to one of their RHS mirrors.
> The Type 3 mirrors I see on the flat 4 web page are an earlier style,
> up to '67, maybe.
>
> I'm afraid that on this generation, that longer piece is not
> removable from the mirror. It's swaged over, under the glass, so you
> can't even get to it without breaking the glass. And that is exactly
> where they almost always break.   ;-p

Right, the mirrors are a little smaller so definitely earlier.

The piece I was referring to was the base/elbow piece that screws into
the door and has a barrel on the the other end.  The mirror attaches
with a spring and rounded piece with a flathead screwdriver on the
bottom.  The mirror heads would be close, just a little smaller.