[T3] Fuel pump and Wiring

Adriel Rowley adriel_rowley at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 4 15:47:43 PST 2012

> From: jadney at vwtype3.org
> To: type3 at vwtype3.org
> Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2012 16:40:24 -0600
> Subject: Re: [T3] Fuel pump and Wiring

> > Pencil size, but hard to tell the shape. Disturbing is right, and also
> > painful on my skin. Have yet to find a place that sells the blue or
> > purple gloves, anyone know a source?
>
> If pencil sized, the supply to the pump input is fine, so you can
> move on, as you have done.

Noted.

> > I ended up testing the two pumps I have, but they both leak from the crimped
> > cap. In reverse, does not leak. Is this something that I need to have you fix?
>
> I replace that small cap on the side as part of the partial rebuild,
> which just deals with the pump head and costs $75 plus return
> shipping. If there are also leaks around the motor housing and/or
> electrical connector then the cost goes up to $125 plus return
> shipping.

I got $100 for Christmas, so just enough for now. Will see if I can acquire more.
So, how do we ship the pump? It is sitting in diesel, so we are concerned about it
being refused for mailing due to smell.

> Yes, you would need to send me the pump(s) to get this fixed.

Figured. I thought of a way to do it, but rather not waste time. The Invasion is
coming fast. ;/

> > For the test, I got diesel and put some in a bucket enough to cover the pumps.
> > I had a fuel pump lead with connector that was long enough to reach the rim
> > of the bucket. I did run the spare pumps forwards and back
> > several times to be sure they were cleaned out. No discoloration was present.
>
> Other than the leaks, that sounds fine.

Good.

> > Per Jack's idea, I also tested the current fuel pump, and got the same results.
> > It just shakes all over the bucket, but no pumping. In reverse, it was pumping
> > out a milky color, unlike the other two. This is the same milkiness that was in
> > the fuel. Not sure if it is on theSamba, but can link it if desired.
>
> I don't know what the milkyness might be, unless it is finely broken
> up water droplets that look foggy. Any chance you have water in your
> tank? If so, the water will collect in the pump and damage things in
> there, possibly explaning why it won't pump now. It should be
> fixable, but the sooner the better.

Here is a sample of the fuel when I first cleaned the tank:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=831562
See the white layer at the top?

The tank was rinsed with water after the phosphoric acid, per the
directions. Forgot all what I did, but was documented here and
theSamba, I.I.R.C.. There is a possibility there was some water in the
tank from the rinse. Jack said it did not need to dry so did not. How
would it be fixed? Guess it is good not a lot of the fuel went into the
spare pump. Do I need to send the current to you?