[T3] Hello, Type 3 Noob from San Jose, CA

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Sat Jan 7 14:21:24 PST 2012

On 7 Jan 2012 at 12:31, Dennis Stiefel wrote:

> Nice find on the SB John. Good to know on how much fuel hose to get Keith
> since that is one of the many things I have to buy here in the next few
> weeks. I don't suppose you would know off the top of your head how many
> clamps I would need to go with that hose?

It's a LOT of clamps. I use a mix of worm gear clamps and OE style
crimp clamps. I've found that the little plastic ratcheting clamps
also work quite well, even in the engine compartment. The main thing
is to NOT tighten too tight. 30 psi really isn't much and most of
those connections will seal with no clamp at all, but the clamp keeps
the hose from vibrating off. Overtightening the clamp can damage the
hose, so go gently.

68-9 cars without the cold start valve take about 20 feet of hose.
All others take about 22 feet.

I sell hose that's better than what you can buy locally. It's better
because it's smaller on the OD, so it will go thru the grommets in
the 3 places where you'll encounter grommets.

Don't waste your money on the special FI fuel hose. That hose is
rated for the much higher pressures of modern FI cars. We don't need
it.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org