[T3] Brake Noises (slight return)

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 9 19:44:42 PST 2012

On 9 Jan 2012 at 14:55, Chris Sheridan wrote:

> Last year I replaced: New Pads, New Calipers (brasil), New Rotors, new
> front bearings/seals

The new Brazilian calipers are probably Ghia calipers with smaller
pistons than Type 3 calipers. This is what's being sold now since
correct Type 3 calipers have not been made for many years. That's why
I recommend rebuilding, not replacing. This won't cause noise, but it
does reduce the max braking by about 10%.

> When I press on the brakes with alacrity they stop the car - occasionally
> there is a little squeal but nothing major.
>
> However, when I'm coasting in Traffic (2 hours per day) and I brake (not
> stop, braking to slow the car in traffic flow)
>
> I have an automatic...there is a loud judder/rubbing vibration that fills
> the cab and seems to emanate from either under the floorboards
> or around the front wheels.  It is becoming really really annoying as it's
> been going on for a months and months and getting worse.

If these calipers have 2 bleed valves, you may have them mounted on
the wrong sides of the car. Do they have the piston retaining plates,
or something similar, as shown in the Bentley manual, Ch. 2, illus. 7-
10? If so, then they must be on the BOTTOM of the pad slot.

If they are on top and there are 2 bleed valves, then the calipers
are on the wrong sides of the car. If there are no retaining plates
and the pistons don't have the recess for them then they can be
mounted on either side. If the recess is there but there are no
retaining plates, the recess must be on the bottom, and you may need
to swap sides.

If this is not the problem, then I'd check the wheel bearing
adjustment and make sure that all the front axle beam bolts are
tight. It could even be an alignment issue.

> Any ideas?   Master Cylinder Pushrod Adjustment?

Whatever it is, it has NOTHING to do with the pushrod adjustment.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org