[T3] missing on cylinders #2 & #3 FI 72 Fastback

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 14:29:55 PST 2012

Is the fouling black sooty or black oily?

I'd check the resistance of the leads first - with the plug cap original
Bosch leads should be around 1 KOhm (1000 Ohms) and reasonably similar for
all 4.  Look in the dark for sparking between leads and the engine.  Has the
weather changed to damp meanwhile?

You could try a timing light on the leads to see if there's a problem
elsewhere.  There might be a crack or track between 2 and 3 in the
distributor cap.  A new cap (or even an old one if you have one) might prove
where the problem is.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club