[T3] no start -- but just drove it!

Dave Hall dave at hallvw.clara.co.uk
Fri Jan 13 13:41:37 PST 2012

Nobody has worked out quite what happens in the starter motor to stop it
working after a journey (normally a long heat-soaked run though!).  We had
John's (I think) car do that at Landers, WY on the first invasion - Russ
shorted the two starter terminals together with a dime (I don't think the
particular coin matters!) to give the motor full battery voltage.  Some
people tap the casing with a hammer and try again - often works then, so
must be something like brushes not seating properly, or the gear not sliding
to engage.  If the brushes don't pass the current to make the armature start
inching round to move the gear to pre-engage, you never get the
solenoid-controlled starting current through the system.

Good luck finding the problem - or you can probably bypass it with a hsrd
start relay.  I fitted that after several years of being OK following a
clean-out when it started giving trouble interittently again.  Touch wood
it's been fine since.

On the other hand, it may be a lead that dropped off in the cold - brass
monkeys and all that!

Dave.
UK VW Type 3&4 Club