[T3] Two questions about throttle cables

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jan 14 19:13:17 PST 2012

In a message dated 1/14/2012 7:51:04 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,
djsanderson at telus.net writes:

Hi  Folks
I have a couple of questions about throttle cables. First, the
throttle cable in Matt's notch broke. Actually, it had worn through  in
two places - just where the cable exits the tube by the pedal  and
again at the rear where it come through the fire wall. Did  these
cables come with some sort of nylon sleeve to prevent this  kind of
abrasion and subsequent breakage? I've looked at the parts  book but do
not see any such protective sleeve. I see at CB  Performance that they
sell a cable that is in a  sleeve - that  should do the trick I think.
Second, I imagine that it is very difficult to  get 311 721 551 A, the
protective tube and grommet (311 721 573) for  the throttle cable from
the pan to the firewall. Have people tried  other kinds of tubes, like
bicycle parts as a  substitute?

I haven't seen a throttle cable with a protective sleeve for a t-3 before.
T-1 yes, but not t-3. Someone on the Samba just got one of those 311 721
551A  cables not that long ago, so they are out there, just don't remember who
he got  it from.

As an alternative, I used some 1/16th inch wire rope that I got from
McMaster Carr. I bought a 100ft strand for 10 bucks. Plenty to make several
with. ;^) You might be able to find that locally in a hardware store.

71 Notch (Krunchy)
64 T-34 Ghia (Wolfie)