[T3] Oil Shocks?

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Tue Jan 17 19:36:00 PST 2012

On 17 Jan 2012 at 18:31, Max Welton wrote:

> Over the last few weeks the right front has started making a squeaking
> noise, particularly in the cold. I gave the front a bounce with the
> shock disconnected, no more squeak. It is definitely the shock.

Can you tell where the squeak is coming from? If it's from the rod,
then there may be nothing you can do about it.

But if it's at the lower mount bushing, it may be because you
tightened that nut when the wheel was in the air. That nut should be
tightened with the wheel on the ground, so the torsional stress in
the rubber is neutral most of the time and goes in either direction
as the wheel bounces up or down.

This is a common mistake, but VW was pretty clear about it.

If that's your problem, it may be too late for this shock: The
bushing has probably slipped now and worn and will never be tight
again. A new Cofap may, correctly installed, may work perfectly.

> So I'm looking for a source for Boges, or any other suitable oil
> shock.

The quality of the OE VW shocks was incredible. Most of mine are
still good, and I'm careful to save old ones that are still good when
I part out a dead car. Some of my shocks are on their second car,
having outlived the first.

Even if you could find Boge shocks somewhere, you'd probably get ones
made for beetles, although beetle front shocks will not be much
different from Type 3 fronts. If you want OE quality, consider
looking in junkyards. Old ones are either good or bad; there is no
"weak." You can tell a bad one instantly if you just stroke it a
couple of times. (You have to have them right side up when you test
them.)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org