[T3] seat belts

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 23 07:05:48 PST 2012

On 23 Jan 2012 at 12:56, alluringeyewear at comcast.net wrote:

> Is there any trick to cleaning retractable seat belts?  I have a '73
> Fastback with factory retractable seat belts.  What do I use to clean
> them?

It's best to remove them from the car. You can then wash the belt in
a bucket with laundry or dish detergent. Just rinsing them in water
is actually quite effective. I do them in a bucket: one soapy wash
followed by rinses until the water stops turning black.

Before removing them from the car, note carefully how everything is
oriented.

The belt can be removed from the winder if you wish, but it's not
necessary. If you do this, remove the large plastic cover but NOT the
small one. Pull the belt out and grab the spindle. Push the belt thru
the spindle and extract the metal pin. Then pull the belt out. Note
how everything fits together, because there will only be one correct
way to put it back together.

Don't let go of the spring loaded spindle. I use a large nail to pin
it in place while I wash the belt. Have this ready BEFORE you start!

Let the belt dry completely before reinstalling.

Prepare to be astonished at the result.  ;-)

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org