[T3] color discovery and video up date

Dennis Stiefel dlstiefel at dekalbk12.org
Sat Jan 28 16:37:52 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org
[mailto:type3-vwtype3.org-bounces at lists.vwtype3.org] On Behalf Of Dave Hall
Sent: Saturday, January 28, 2012 6:18 PM
To: type3 at vwtype3.org
Subject: Re: [T3] color discovery and video up date

Dennis, there would have been a silver paper sticker on the side of the
spare wheel well with the paint code, but they have often been lost.  You
can still find out what colour it was originally if you can find a 3" x 1/2"
painted metal plate rivetted on the front panel, the same panel that has the
VIN number aluminium plate.  It looks as if it's still there, on your latest
video, at the left end of the front clip shelf.

It has embossed numbers on it like 12-3-4567, which tell you the day it was
scheduled for production, and stamped across the left end (either side of
the rivet) is a number.  12 is Clementine (paint code L20D) and 07 is
Brilliant orange (paint code L20B).   If the plate is there, you should be
able to work out which number it is.  The paint shop will be able to mix to
the code.

I assume the VIN number starts 312 (1972) rather than a 311 (1971).

There's a photo of the production plate at
http://home.clara.net/hallvw/dating.htm
It's attached to the body before painting, so is body colour.

Dave
UK VW Type 3&4 Club

Yes it still has it Dave. I think it's on the right side in front of the
spare tire compartment. I'll check it out when I get back to the school.
Thanks

Dennis