[T3] getting ready

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 30 19:21:53 PST 2012

On 30 Jan 2012 at 13:08, Brian Fye wrote:

> anyone know how much load the roof can take with out denting/distorting?
> My thought was that if I bring the car, my 2 spare tires and air mattress
> would go up above as my trunk is full of heater and air ride stuffs.

Are you aware that there are extra cross braces under the roof that
the rack should be positioned to screw into? If you've done that
correctly, I think you should be good for a couple hundred pounds.
The extra runners that go on top of the roof also serve to distribute
any load onto those cross braces, preventing denting of the roof
sheet metal.

If your rack screws screw only into the roof sheet metal, I'd be
concerned about adding any real load up there. It should be either
really light or for really short distances. The concern is not only
the downward weight, but also the vibration on whatever the screws go
into.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org