[T3] getting ready

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jan 30 21:15:33 PST 2012

On 30 Jan 2012 at 19:37, Brian Fye wrote:

> yep... I'm aware.  But, I still don't trust the weight on the cross braces
> with the weight on the tin, not the drip rails.

Right, putting the weight at the edges, with all the folded metal and
the support from directly below, should hold a lot more.

I've only ever had one square with a roof rack, and we only ever used
that to carry home our newly purchased Christmass trees. For that, it
was great, since the load was minimal and it kept all the needle mess
out of the car.

For trips, few people realize how much of a gas mileage price they
pay, even with an empty roof rack. Add an outside load, and it goes
up quickly. Inside load hardly causes any penalty at all.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org