[T3] FI Hose Clamps

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 14:12:19 PST 2012

*Type 3 Noob from San Jose asked:
*I don't suppose you would know off the top of your head how many
> clamps I would need to go with that hose?

*I did a "mental" count when I re-hosed my '69 Variant in 2010.  Starting
from the Incoming High Pressure Fuel Line that comes thru the "tin", around
the Fuel Ring, hose "stubs" to the Injectors and back to the Fuel Pressure
Regulator on the RHS, I counted 15 ... but I may have missed some.  I cut
off the short hose stubs that were connected to the metal "T's"and "swaged"
on to the injectors.  Be careful when you cut them off.  It's easy to
damage the Fuel Injector inlet.  Go slow.

Then, up front from the Fuel Tank, Fuel Pump, Fuel Filter, (small round
Expansion Chamber [if you have one]), "T's" and other Fuel Line connectors,
High-Pressure Line, Return Line, etc. there are probably another 20 or so.

If you had 50 clamps, you should have enough to replace all of them.
Somebody may have a more accurate count.

BUT ... I bought the OEM, VW, solid metal clamps.  I like the slightly
"flared" edge on the originals.  The "geared" clamps don't have the flare
on the sides of the bands.  And they seem to cut into the hose material, if
they are slightly over-tightened.

Gary "Frito" - '69 Variant, FI, MT
Rockport, TX (winter)
*