[T3] 10mm

Gary Forsmo gbforsmo at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 14:25:10 PST 2012

*Dave --

*I think I recall a big cross-head screw in one of mine with a broken
glass, but this one sounds more like part of the casting, as Jim says.  Why
would they machine a bolt shank as a hexagon section?  The hexagon shape is
to lock the shell to stop it rotating.  Try a magnet on this shank and see
if it is attracted.  If not, it's probably part of the casting, which would
explain why it's getting rounded off so easily.  I don't see why you
shouldn't drill and tap a hole there - you would need to use a locking
washer to stop the shell rotating.

*Good idea, with the magnet.

However the hex portion of the bolt, fits into a perfectly ROUND hole in
the s.s. shell.  So it has no effect to prevent spinning of the mirror
shell.

And there IS an Exterior Tooth Lock Washer.  It's between the nut and a
steel, "triangle-shaped" washer/piece, somewhat like the shape of the cast
arm bearing surface .

Gary "Frito"

*