[T3] Notch Running hot.

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 4 15:30:41 PDT 2012

On 4 Jul 2012 at 10:40, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> I guess I'm just really old school, in that I still use dino oil, and don't
>  have all of those fancy gauges (just the stock idiot lights). I do use
> GM's EOS  though, so I can get the ZDDP I need. And even out in Hays KS, I neve
> r got an  oil light to come on (after getting off the highway). I don't know
> IF it's  because I'm running 10W40 oil or not though. But then, that's all
> I use in my  other vehicles too. ;-)

Last spring I discovered that I could buy 15W-40 Diesel engine oil
that meets SL specs, but at a very reasonable price for an 8 qt jug.
Those are older than current specs, so I suspect there's still some
ZDDP in there. It's a really nice weight: not so heavy that it puts
extra load on the engine, and not so light that I worry about the
film strength. I'll start using that once I use up the other oil I've
already got here.

Does anyone know if there's a place where we can look up the SAE
specs for SL (for example) oils?

What spec does the Brad Penn oil meet?

BTW, note to Keith: Looking at the spec sheet at the Brad Penn web
site, I see that all the Brad Penn oils contain the same amount of
zinc and phosporus except the 0W-30. The 0W-30 contains the same
amount of zinc and slightly less phosphorus. They also make a special
breakin oil for which they don't specify the amount of zinc and
phosphorus. They don't specify an S rating for any of these, but
maybe there's one on the bottles you have. If so, what is it?

Given that most of the BP oils appear to have the same amount of ZDDP
in them, I think you'd be better off with something lighter than 20W-
50. That puts extra pumping load on your engine and may reduce the
flow somewhat. Why not use something more reasonable like their 15W-
40 or straight 30 or 40? Those 2 effects should cool your engine
somewhat.

They make a Diesel engine oil that meets SM specs but they don't
specify zinc or phosphorus content, so my guess is that it's lower
than the SL I mentioned above.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org