[T3] Notch Running hot.

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Wed Jul 4 19:13:09 PDT 2012

Well, my thought process is that these engines run pretty hot to begin with,
VW never wanted oil temps up beyond 220 or so, and the hotter the oil the
hotter the case and then you start risking issues like pulling studs,
warping etc, maybe not in the short term but over time...

The other thing I worry about is seals, they get brittle with time as it is
but if they are running 20 or 30 degree's hotter, that's going to happen
sooner.

I don't doubt the OIL will work OK, although folks like Raby will tell you
that oil up around 240 will need changing much more often than cooler oil.

Remember too, this is a partial Synthetic... its supposed to be recommended
for aircooled's but boy, mine is sure running hotter with it.

I did pull the tin today, just to make sure nothing was living under there,
it was fine. I resync'd the carbs, the timing is at 40 total with the
semi-hemi.  Due for its first tuneup in a couple thousand miles, wondering
if I should put the 1500s dizzy on it, with the vacuum advance or keep
running the '69FI dizzy with centrifugal advance only.

Keith

Top Notch Restorations
topnotch at nycap.rr.com
71 Squareback "Hothe"