[T3] Crate is ON the road!

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 4 22:08:27 PDT 2012

On 4 Jul 2012 at 23:39, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> Thank you for helping with the  speedometer fix, as that was the main
> thing that troubled me (no idea of how  fast we were going). I'd never
> seen that input shaft break on any of the other  "non-working" units
> I've messed with before. I'm just glad the bug unit part was
> compatible. I was really surprised that the cable didn't break though.
> Any ideas  on why that would happen?

I'd never seen it before, but I think it was Greg Skinner who said he
had, so it must be one of those things that comes along occasionally.
The worm gear that's cut into the shaft clearly weakens it. I think
someone at the Invasion, maybe Greg again, said that a sticky cable,
which did a stick/slip kind of thing, might cause this. I think
that's a very good theory. If Wolfie had such a cable sometime in his
history that could have caused a fatigue buildup that eventually led
to the failure you had.

Don't forget to drop a bit of light oil in there sometime.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org