[T3] Crate is ON the road!

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jul 4 20:39:51 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/4/2012 6:30:47 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

You  & Sue did a great job getting Wolfie to the Invasion. I'm glad I
could  help with the speedo. How about the starter? Is that sorted out
yet? Once  you get it fixed, be sure to let us know what the root
problem  was.

It's been too hot here to do ANYTHING outside. We're expected to  get
over 100 (and humid!) here today for the first time in 17 years.
That's why I've had all this time to work in the basement.   ;-p

I still need to wash the bugs off my  '71.

Thanks. It was a lot of work, just to get it to that point though. I really
 did enjoy cruising out with ya'll , as that's where the fun always seems
to  happen (besides the host hotel parking lot;-) ). Thank you for helping
with the  speedometer fix, as that was the main thing that troubled me (no
idea of how  fast we were going). I'd never seen that input shaft break on any
of the other  "non-working" units I've messed with before. I'm just glad the
bug unit part was  compatible. I was really surprised that the cable didn't
break though. Any ideas  on why that would happen?

As to the starter, I haven't dug into it yet, but with all the heat we were
 running thru, I know that didn't help it much. I also haven't had a chance
to  dig into it yet, as things are still trying to settle down to normal
again since  we got back. Like you, it's been hot AND humid here, and that
just saps the will  to work outside. Eventually I'll dig into it, and see what
the deal is, but I do  know it was an OE 70 model unit, so brushes might
have played a part in it  too.

Yes, I need to do that to Wolfie too, as we sure wacked a bunched of them
in eastern Iowa and western Illinois when we came thru. Some were in swarms
large enough to see (right before they hit the car), and most were juicy,
as  they left a large "splat" on the glass. :O Every fuel stop got time spent
 cleaning the windshield. I'm sure the mowing crews weren't helping much
either.

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)