[T3] distributor question

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 9 06:14:41 PDT 2012

On 8 Jul 2012 at 23:41, steve crispino wrote:

> Our '69 Fastback is an automatic with FI and calls for distributor
> 311-905-205M.  However, the car came with a 311-905-205L (designated for
> the manual transmission.)  What's the difference?

The difference is all interenal, in the mech advance unit. The M
version has a very complicated, but highly adjustable mech advance.
The L version is the preferred distributor. That's what's in my '69
AT.

> I was able to get it started; however it won't time correctly - I need a
> few more degrees of CCW turn on the distributor, but it won't spin any
> further as the condenser hits the AAR and the vacuum advance hits the tin.
> Is this caused by a dimensional difference in either the distributor, the
> tin or possibly both?

It sounds like your dist drive gear needs to be rotated one tooth CW.
This problem will often make the vac can hit the tin.

I don't think I've ever seen interference between the condensor and
the AAR. Look at where the condensor is mounted compared to where the
wire comes out of the distributor. The condensor should be CW from
where the wire comes out. If it's CCW from there, the condensor is
the wrong one, or it's mounted wrong.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org