[T3] Weber carbs

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Wed Jul 11 19:40:13 PDT 2012

On 11 Jul 2012 at 19:05, James Lingenfelter wrote:

> I have never rebuilt a Weber carb, and don't recall having one of
> those fuel hose fittings out of the carb, so forgive my ignorance on
> this subject; so originally these fittings are simply force fit into
> the carb, with smooth surfaces all around, with no type of adhesive,
> and expected to stay in? That seems a little insane and dangerous to
> me. It's one thing on a vacuum fitting, but on a fuel line fitting
> where looseness could result in disaster, it just seems silly.

I'm not sure whether they were press fit or cast in place. My money
would be on the former. At any rate, it worked for well beyond the
design lifetime, so it's not surprising that some of them
occasionally come loose after 40 years.

Even now, most of them are fine until excess stress is applied to the
fitting. Sometimes this is the weight of a fuel filter and sometimes
it's careless tightening of a hose clamp.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org