[T3] Weber Carb update

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 14 12:01:26 PDT 2012

  False alarm.... somewhat. Just disconnected the fuel lines from the
carbs (had to remove the entire carb linkage/air cleaner assemblies
just to access the hose clamps on the fuel lines). The fittings in
the carbs are NOT loose, the fuel hoses are simply loose on the
fittings, and no amount of tightening (or overtightening for that
matter) of the hose clamps will secure them. I still have fuel
seeping through at the connections. I just replaced these fuel lines
a few months ago with the highest quality hose I could get. The
fittings on the carbs are the type that have one rounded "barb" at
the end of the fitting. I don't have much experience with these, I am
mostly accustomed to the barbed fittings that I've had on numerous
Solex carbs over the years, where once the hose is attached, you
nearly have to cut it off to ever remove it. Should I be having this
problem? I guess I have to replace the fuel lines to the carbs again,
I didn't really leave enough slack to cut off the ends and reconnect.
Is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening again?

Also, still related to the Weber carbs: The last couple of times I've
had it running in the garage, within just a few minutes of running, a
lot of moisture is forming around the driver side carb, mostly near
the base it appears. When I first saw this, I thought I had a fuel
leak somewhere, but it is apparently water.... quite a bit of it....
enough to be running down the intake manifold after 5 minutes of
running. What could this mean? Is something happening to cause a lot
of condensation to form on the outside of that one carb?

BTW, the car seems to idle better than it has in some time, now that
I have Jim Adney's plug wire set on board. Now, if I could just get
fuel to stop spraying all over the place, I might actually get to
drive it!