[T3] Weber carbs

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 20:12:30 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/11/2012 8:03:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jimmyandcher at yahoo.com writes:

I  have never rebuilt a Weber carb, and don't recall having one of
those fuel hose fittings out of the carb, so forgive my ignorance on
this subject; so originally these fittings are simply force fit into
the carb, with smooth surfaces all around, with no type of adhesive,
and expected to stay in? That seems a little insane and dangerous to
me. It's one thing on a vacuum fitting, but on a fuel line fitting
where looseness could result in disaster, it just seems silly.

On  Jul 11, 2012, at 10:56 AM, Bobsnotch at aol.com wrote:

> In a  message dated 7/11/2012 1:01:48 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
>  bfye at canyonville.net writes:
>
> You can  pean it into place  along with the expoxy.
>
> On 7/11/12, James  Lingenfelter  <jimmyandcher at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>     Epoxy....  hmmmm. Well, one more thing on my to do list!
>>
>> On  Jul  11, 2012, at 4:15 AM, Dave Hall wrote:
>>
>>> I  guess vibration  and the weight of the hose on the  spigot.
>>>
>>> You need  those tight in there,  or you risk an engine fire if one
>>> drops   out.
>>> I think the recommendation is to reinsert with  expoxy  (eg
>>> Araldite), but
>>> I've not  needed it on mine yet, so  have no experience of the
>>> repair.
>

> My son's right carb  just did this last friday night. We knurled the
> brass
>  tube, and applied some green loctite (bearing and sleeve retainer)
> to it.
> and  tapped it in place. So far so good. Note,  this is 4 years
> after the left
> carb  did the same  thing (same repair done to it too.

I haven't rebuilt a Weber carb before, but the issue you speak of IS common
 on Solex carbs and fuel pumps as well.The fix I mentioned above IS the
same as I  use on Solex carbs. The problem is they are "press fit" at the
factory, then  years of use come into play. They loosen up, then fall out. The
owner catches  this "before a fire starts", and all is forgotten and swept
under the rug until  the "next time" it happens. If the owner has been around a
few years, then his  memory kicks in, if not, it doesn't.

In the old days, that "press fit" would be tapped and sealed. But
manufactures have found cheaper ways to do stuff, and it might be 2 years, 5  years
or even 10 years before something happens. There's also different  companies
licensing stuff, then they cheap out (make it thinner) but still  sell it
on the open market under existing brand names. But, by then, it's  out of
warranty (or patent), so it doesn't matter anymore (especially if it's
aftermarket stuff).

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)