[T3] Weber carbs

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Wed Jul 11 20:26:37 PDT 2012

In a message dated 7/11/2012 10:40:13 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jadney at vwtype3.org writes:

I'm not  sure whether they were press fit or cast in place. My money
would be on  the former. At any rate, it worked for well beyond the
design lifetime, so  it's not surprising that some of them
occasionally come loose after 40  years.

That's the thing, they were a press fit back then.

Even now, most of them are fine until excess stress is applied  to the
fitting. Sometimes this is the weight of a fuel filter and  sometimes
it's careless tightening of a hose clamp.

This is exactly one of the possibilities. Just because there haven't  been
any issues in 40 years, doesn't mean it won't happen tomorrow. People
forget that kind of stuff, until it happens.
Like I mentioned before, in the really old days, this stuff was drilled
and tapped and some sort of sealer applied (before 1960), then it was
cheapened, followed by more cheapening. You can't expect to drive an old car
without lifting the floor hatch once in a while. These cars were designed to be
serviced (unlike today's cars).

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)