[T3] ] Inertia Reel Springs SOLVED

Jim Adney jadney at vwtype3.org
Mon Jul 2 05:27:18 PDT 2012

On 30 Jun 2012 at 21:13, Keith Park wrote:

> Well I tried light oil I tried Grease, then I took Jims suggestion and tried
> a dry graphite lubricant.  What a mess!

I think I would have done this OUTSIDE.  ;-)

> I figured, what do I have to lose, why not try UNWRAPPING the spring, (going
> the other way)  ya know, piss it off, and after some jumbling the spring
> around and getting it loose in there WALLA!  When you pull the belt out and
> it UNWRAPS the spring  (from the middle where the shaft is attached), it
> tries to wrap back up nicely and works perfectly now!  (I just flipped the
> spring over to do this)

I'm not sure I understand what you did. Did you wind the spring up
backwards and then let it rewind in the original direction? I would
have thought that winding backwards might cause a fatigue failure and
broken the spring.

> This was getting to be an obsession... one of those things that I just had
> to finally figure out!

I'm in the same boat, but if you really have a solution, I'd like to
know what it is.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org