[T3] loss of power & sputtering … need WOTG

Vern Creamer vccreamer at cox.net
Sat Jul 28 13:34:29 PDT 2012

Not too long after I returned from the Invasion, my 72 Fastback MT FI started stuttering, stumbling, missing once the engine got warm.  Here are things I've tried; looking for suggestions as to what I have missed.  I am not an accomplished mechanic by any stretch; no suggestion is too elementary.  The car runs OK when cold but has less power than normal; when it gets warmed up, it's a real challenge to drive at all ... barely made it home when testing.

1.  valve adjustment and oil change 300 miles ago
2.  adjusted points gap
3.  replaced spark plugs gapped at .028" (2 of the old ones were at .040" upon removal; all 4 were the right light tan/gray color; #4 gap full of dry, gritty material) ... ran better after this, until it gets hot
4.  readjusted the Throttle Position Switch
5.  cleaned out the vac line at the intake air distributor
6.  retimed the engine following the Bentley instructions for the 72 including idle adjustments with the vac lines plugged and then after the timing was set and the lines replaced.
7.  tested the battery voltage at mid-range RPMs ... approximately 13.8V
8.  checked to make sure the coil is wired correctly (terminals 15 & 1)
9.  tested the coil output by holding the wire from the coil near the engine block; spark is orange

I am due for a fuel filter replacement, which I'll do this afternoon.
The distributor was rebuilt approx. 3,000 miles ago by Jim Adney and ran GREAT for my 2,700 mile Invasion trip at 27.5 mpg.

Some questions:

1.  What other kind of tests can I do to the coil?
2.  Fuel pump issue?
3.  Voltage Regulator replaced 13,000 miles ago, last May, with a solid-state unit

Vern Creamer
Elkhorn, NE
72 Orange Fastback "Citrus" FI, MT
vccreamer at cox.net