[T3] STILL can't get my car running

James Lingenfelter jimmyandcher at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 28 18:36:49 PDT 2012

  Finally had time today to finish (I thought) getting the squareback
going, but as usual, simple problems multiply into mysterious complex
ones. The car seemed to be idling a little strangely when I started
it up, almost as if it had a dead cylinder, but evened out if I gave
it some throttle. After letting it idle a bit, revving it produces a
decent amount of white smoke. I tried driving it, but gave up after
about a block.... it was running horribly, bucking and surging; felt
like at least one intermittent cylinder. Exactly the same thing it
was doing before, which I had narrowed down to a bad #1 plug wire.
Now, the problem is 10 times worse. With the motor idling, I
determined that removing either the #3 or #4 plug wires from the
distributor had no effect whatsoever on how it ran, whether idling or
revved up to 3,000+ rpm. Yet I get a spark at the distributor with
both of those wires. Now what?