[T3] Fan belt

Keith Park topnotch at nycap.rr.com
Mon Jun 4 16:10:01 PDT 2012

It's a Gates 7395XL
Ahh but Jim, with a system voltage of squat, what was your gas mileage
With the FI?

:-)

Keith

For what it's worth, our cars VERY seldom need new generator belts.
You can drive for hours without one. The battery will slowly run
down, but you won't damage anything.

I once drove home 120 miles after a belt broke. It was a sunny day,
so I didn't need lights or wipers, and I kept my radio off. but when
I got home my battery still had enough charge to restart my engine a
couple of times. I did that just as a test.

The belts on all my Type 3s are decades old. For long trips, however,
it's still worth having a spare.

Jim Adney, jadney at vwtype3.org