[T3] Oil 'n other parts

Bobsnotch at aol.com Bobsnotch at aol.com
Sat Jun 9 09:54:41 PDT 2012

I bought  a 5-quart jug of Pennzoil 10W30.  I keep reading about ZDDP.
Is that a  recommended additive to use with the oil?

Since you're using dino oil, you should add some to it. I believe Jim said
that Lucas has some ZDDP in it. Myself, I use standard 10W40 oil, and add a
1/2  of a container (8oz) of GM's EOS (engine oil supplement) to it. It's
designed for use with "flat tappet cams".

The lack of ZDDP can be traced directly to all of the newer cars and trucks
 using "roller cams". They don't need the ZDDP to prevent cam and  lifter
wear. Also by eliminating the ZDDP, the catalytic converter doesn't  get
plugged (when the oil gets past the rings).I was told both of these  things by
the GM parts guy, as I was buying the two 16 oz bottles.He was  concerned I
was going to use it in a newer vehicle (which it doesn't need). Once  I
mentioned to him that I use it in a VW engine, he said that's cool, it's
designed for that. Just my take on it. ;-)

64 T-34 Ghia  (Wolfie)